High level committee Probe into Scorpene leak in India: Navy chief Sunil Lanba

img

Primary investigations have found that the Scorpene data leak did not take place in India but at DCNS office in France, said Navy chief Sunil Lanba on Saturday. The high-level committee probing Scorpene leak will check if any mitigation measures required based on probe report, said the Navy chief. Earlier, it was reported that India is unlikely to give French naval contractor DCNS a proposed order for three new submarines, in addition to the six it is already building in the country, following the leak of secret data about its capabilities, Indian defence officials said.

 

Details of the Scorpene submarine were published in the Australian newspaper last month, triggering concerns that it had become vulnerable even before it was ready to enter service. DCNS had offered to build three more submarines to help India replace its ageing Soviet-era fleet, and had held talks over the past year, two Indian sources said. That offer will not now be taken up, according to the officials. "We had an agreement for six, and six it will remain," a defence ministry official briefed on the navy's plans told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

 

A navy officer said there had been a serious breach of data and the navy's efforts were focused on determining the damage done to the existing submarines. "No order will be signed, nothing is going to happen now," the officer, who is also been briefed on the submarine data leak, said when asked if the government planned to enlarge the order. DCNS spokesman Emmanuel Gaudez said the company was "stunned" by the information.

 

"The talks are ongoing with the government and our Indian partners. We have not been informed in anyway of such a decision," he said. India's defence ministry had written to DCNS asking for details about the extent of the leak and how data relating to the Scorpene's intelligence gathering frequencies, diving depth, endurance and weapons specifications had ended up in the public domain, both officials said.

 

A naval group headed by a three-star admiral is looking at altering some features of the submarine, the first of which began sea trials in May for induction later this year, to minimise any damage. The remaining five are in various stages of production at state-run Mazgaon Docks shipyard in Mumbai and they were all due to enter service by 2020.

Posted By: admin

Editors Pick